Thursday, April 22, 2010

Mascarpone Frosting


This past weekend was my Aunt Kathy's birthday and I made her the same cake she's been requesting for three years in a row. Rich chocolate cake with alternating layers of raspberry preserves and ganache. The cake is covered with a mascarpone frosting that I got from Martha Stewart's Baking Handbook.

Mascarpone is a delicious, soft dessert cheese that is often paired with fruit or chocolate. If you can't find it in your regular supermarket, try a specialty market or Whole Foods and look for it in the refrigerated section. I love using the cheese in a frosting because it's not too sweet and it allows the complementary flavors to shine. Here's the recipe I used:

Mascarpone Frosting

Ingredients

heavy cream 1 1/4 cup
confectioner's sugar 1/2 cup
mascarpone cheese 1 lb

Directions

Combine all of the ingredients in your KitchenAid and whip until it comes to a spreadable consistency. Use immediately!


My notes:


- Martha suggests using the paddle attachment but I found the whisk attachment whipped the frosting quicker and produced a more desirable consistency.

- Martha also says to be careful not to overwhip but I have found that overwhipping can actually help make the frosting more spreadable (as opposed to being too soupy).

- I have made this frosting several times now and have used it underwhipped and slightly overerwhipped. If you're traveling with the cake I suggest overwhipping (until it looks like whipped cream) otherwise you'll have a mess.

- The frosting doesn't spread as easily as buttercream so I recommend crumb coating with vanilla buttercream before applying the frosting to ensure you don't have visible crumbs.






2 comments:

  1. Omg that frosting and that ENTIRE CAKE looks and sounds so delicious! I WANT!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thats my cake
    i will ask for it evey year
    aunt kathy

    ReplyDelete